Please Note: Event numbers relate to Programme Events, Exhibitions and Activities on the accompanying maps
Sunday 22nd October
A memorial wreath laying ceremony to honour lives lost in the First World War 1914 – 18.
54 Magnet St, Otago Boat Harbour Reserve.
Sunday 22 October
Dunedin’s torpedo boat ‘Taiaroa’ was shipped from England in 1884. This early design was a failure.
Information board at Deborah Bay, beside the old wharf remains.
Sunday 22 October
11am - 1pm
Join the NZ Marine Studies Centre and discover the amazing marine animals and plants that live in the intertidal zone, and participate in a long-term monitoring programme looking at change on the rocky shores of Otago Harbour. Discussion of how and why the harbour has changed over time will be part of the session.
Deborah Bay, Port Chalmers (park by orange flag just past Carey’s Bay).
See website for more details.
Saturday 20 - Monday 23 October
Over Labour weekend a large number of historic photos and artworks featuring the Careys Bay, the hotel and the surrounding harbour will be displayed in the Careys Bay Hotel lounge for the Heritage Festival.
Jean Pak, Careys Bay Hotel Head chef has created a special sharing platter available for purchase show-casing a taste of the food that would have been eaten around the harbour in the late 1800s. We have called it “The Chophouse Platter” in honour of Henry Dench whose first venture in Port Chalmers was the “New Jerusalem Coffee and Chop House” on the corner of George and Mount St.
Since 1874, Carey’s Bay Historic Hotel has been a handsome feature of the Otago Harbour. Port Chalmers Mayor, Henry Dench, built the hotel, perched on the banks of Carey’s Bay with gold field money. This truly Victorian Hotel and the oldest hotel building in the area was designed by renowned Dunedin architect Mr David Ross. Constructed of locally quarried Port Chalmers bluestone, the hotel’s first name was "The Crescent Family Hotel".
Originally called Mansford Town after early settler William Henning Mansford, Carey’s Bay eventually acquired its name from early English settlers David and Hannah Carey who arrived in Dunedin on "The Magnet" in 1840.
For more information about the past and present of Careys Bay Hotel check out our website.